Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Coffee at McDonalds
I don't care what the reputation is. The American Fork McDonald's employees, especially the morning shift are WAY too enthusiastic. The girl that took my order this morning asked me very congenially, or rather the pre-recorded order greeter version of that girl, if I would like to try a hot chocolate topped generously with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. I must admit, it did give me pause for thought. That really did sound good. Then, knowing that was a recorded message, I suddenly felt really uncomfortable. Do I politely decline? Will the person on the headset be ready for me? Will they know what I am refusing? I stammered a no. The girl taking my order actually giggled while asking what she could get me. I wondered if she knew of my trepidation. Am I supposed to order the hot cocoa? Did I make a mistake in judgement? I order a mocha coffee. Large. I hate mocha. She all but sang my total to me. Curiosity piqued, I had to see who this very very morning morning person was. When I pulled up, she was there, leaning down against the tiny metal platform that is a window sill. "HI!!! And good morning!" she shouts out to me. As if I am 400 miles away. She has several different neon colored loops decorating the outer curve of her ear. Top to bottem. She is a bit chubby, with perfect teeth. I smile and hand her my money. She makes my change and thrusts it with my receipt into my window. "There you go!!! You have a fantastic day, and ENJOY that mocha!!!" Have I traversed to an alternate universe? I pull to the next window. A handsome latino man pushes my coffee into my hand, leaning his whole upper body out the window (I feared he might fall between the small space of my car and the building) while saying, (all in one fluid motion) "Goodmorningma'amhaveagreatdayenjoyyourcoffee!!" The window slides closed almost as quickly as it had opened.
I am sitting in my car. I am dumbfounded. Perhaps not yet awake. I sip my mocha. The window opens again. "Everythingokay?" Oh. Oh! Yes, yes I'm sorry, I don't know why I am just sitting here. Only I didn't say any of that. I just looked at him funny and threw the car in gear, pulling away. Nothing like being your socially awkward self first thing in the morning. Helps get the blood pumping.
posted by katmandusuekookachoo @ 9:09 AM  
 
 
About Me


Name: katmandusuekookachoo
Home: Pleasant Grove, Utah, United States
About Me: The rules you live by and those you ignore will establish your character. You may find yourself at a loss for words, but you should never find yourself at a loss of values.
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1